July 1, 2011

June 16, 2011

I’ve been in Tsévié now for a little over a week and I’m slowly settling into a routine. On most days I get up at 6am, shower and have breakfast. We have French language class almost every morning from 7:30-9:30 and then some type of info session from 10-12 (usually SED training of some sort). Then we all go home for lunch and come back for a 2:30-5:30 class. After that, I usually go home and help mama cook dinner (although I mainly just watch her cook, but recently she’s let me do a few simple things such as grating carrots and adding pre-cut food to a pot). My French cooking vocabulary is improving a lot! After dinner (between 7 and 8), I take another bucket shower and go to my room to read or watch a movie.

This morning, however, I got up a little earlier and met two other stagieres at the tech house for a circuit/pilates workout. One girl used to be a pilates and kickboxing instructor in college so she planned out a nice workout routine. With all the carbs that I’ve been eating it was definitely nice to work out, but it’s still so hot and humid in the morning that I swear I sweat in places where I didn’t even know it was possible to. We plan to try and do this twice a week.

Tonight was a little different than other nights. It was one stagiaire’s birthday today, which of course translates into a celebration for all of us. Instead of having dinner with our families, we all went straight from class to a local bar called Albatros. The first time I went here was on our second night in Tsévié. We went with a PCV who ordered dinner, which was spaghetti avec une omelette. Ever since I have been craving this, and more so than Mexican food or cheese or pizza. Well tonight I finally got to eat it and it was delicious. I’m realizing that it’s the little things in life (like food) that make me really happy.

I’m going to stop here for right now, but I’ve been compiling a list of blog post topics that I want to be sure to cover. This was a more general post, but please, if you have any questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them and I’m sure there are other people wondering the same thing as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment